Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A real-life rant

Okay, I have an online class at my college. In that class, we have a discussion which is basically a forum where we basically have to answer at least one question. My professor of that class gave me and my classmates an e-mail about it saying this:

Class,

I posted the following to _____ with thanks for and admiration of his work.

In the future class, if you can not write anthing more than "nice job, I agree, etc" then do not bother to send anything.

Your posts so far have been greatly lacking in intelligent thought and have received grades solely due to my generosity, which has now ended. I am now completely content to enter "zeroes" for grades, for work that does not match _______'s standard.

"Thank you, __________, for your obvious interest in the material and for your indepth post.

You are a thinking student as opposed to your classmates who treat a discussion (a chance to air ideas and concepts) as a waste of brain cells akin to the social, insincere words used at "Frat parties" while consuming too many beers.

I am totally bored with the banal treatment of the discussions. Your discussion, _______, is now the standard by which all furure posts for entire class will be graded."

Please keep up the excellent work, _____.

____ ______


I censor out the names due to personal stuff. Also, _____ writes very long responses for his discussion posts.


1. A 0? Seriously, you could give us partial credit, but a 0 is like for something you didn't do. You could simply just give us partial credit.

2. When the professor wrote "a waste of brain cells akin to the social, insincere words used at "Frat parties" while consuming too many beers." First of all, I do not drink alcohol. I am underage, and I do not want to go to jail for underage drinking. Also, just for the record, I do not go to frat parties. I'm never part of any parties where they have alcohol, woohooing, and other naughty stuff.

So, I am freaking upset when the professor e-mailed me that. I try to get good grades in that class. I seen freaking responses that are like 2 lines, and I write way more than that. I would of dropped out if I weren't pass the drop out date.


So, all in all, the professor was being a bitch!

5 comments:

  1. Personally I don't think she (I'm assuming it's a "She" since you said the professor was being a bitch) should be using whoever that other person is as "the standard" for the rest of the class. That's like making a pyramid and putting this person on top. She, IMO, should be grading each person individually (and treating each as so!) and not using another person as the icon of perfection. It's one thing to use someone's work as an example, but to use that person as a way to grade everyone else's work is poor.

    When I was in college, we had a similar situation where our discussions were done in a private forum made specifically for that class, and the responses were similar to what your professor is saying ("nice job"..."I agree"), but he never singled someone out (for better or worst) and basically said that if we didn't start putting thought into our responses he would be forced to give out zeros (as your professor stated too) to those he felt deserved the zeros.

    I guess if it bothers you that much that she is grouping you into the ones that are not putting thoughtful responses into their discussion, I would take it up with her.

    Actually, I think her whole email was poor.

    Putting a student on a pedestal and for all to see? Telling the other students they don't match up to _______'s work? Personally praising ________'s in an email sent to the whole class? Using _________'s work as the standard for everyone else?

    Tacky!

    I would talk to her yourself about how you feel about being grouped in with everyone who isn't putting in an effort and that you feel you are putting in more effort than the ones she is referring to. If she gives you the same brush off, and blah blah blah that she did in that email...take it to the department head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think you have every right to be totally offended by this statement,

    "You are a thinking student as opposed to your classmates who treat a discussion (a chance to air ideas and concepts) as a waste of brain cells akin to the social, insincere words used at "Frat parties" while consuming too many beers."

    That alone would be enough for me to go to the department head and complain about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you BSG! I don't feel as if I have the nerve to go to the department head, but I may have. _________ was really good at writing though thought it wasn't fair to singled out _______ as being the best. And frat party comment was very rude for the professor to do. For all the professor knows, we could all be allergic to beer. It seems to me that the professor is the one going to the frat parties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The professor, IMO, was very unprofessional sending all of you that email. If (s)he had been more generic and not singled out the one good writer, then I could see the recipients not getting upset about it.

    I wouldn't worry about going to the head (if you chose to), that's what he (or she) is there for. It's your professor's boss. But I can totally understanding you not wanting to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^^meant to add "If (s)he had been more generic and not singled out the one good writer...and not adding the "frat pary" comment....

    ReplyDelete